Become a pro!
If you seek an international yachting career or if you would like to test your present sailing knowledge and skills and bring them to the higher level as well as to learn professionals’ tricks, RYA Coastal Skipper course is ideal for you. RYA Coastal Skipper certificate is accepted worldwide as a proof of high level of knowledge and skills. It’s also a step forward towards RYA Yachtmaster™ Coastal or Yachtmaster™ Offshore exams.
979,00 € – 988,00 €
- PACKING TIPS
- DATES AND PRICES
RYA Coastal Skipper – Who should apply?
RYA Coastal Skipper course is for experienced skippers who want to bring their knowledge and skills to a higher level and/or become eligible candidates for a job in yachting industry internationally. It’s also for those who want to embark on more complex, offshore sailing, often in low visibility, during bad weather and during the night.
Course is held in the area from Zadar to Split, which might also include outer islands that are further from the shore.
RYA Coastal Skipper – What will you learn?
On RYA Coastal Skipper course you will be the skipper of a sailing yacht from the first day. We will embark on more demanding routes and you will be by the helm during demanding manoeuvres, on sails and on engine. Instructor will take a role of a coach who will point out some wrong habits, show you some tips and tricks of the professionals and reveal some secrets of the trade. Your present knowledge and skills as well as endurance will be put to a real test during the course. Also, you will be put through a constant and strict assessment led by very high criteria.
You will learn how to prepare a yacht and the crew for demanding and long lasting offshore sailing, which will include sailing during the night and crossing traffic separation schemes. You will also learn how to plan that kind of sailing, with regard to the effect of larger weather systems as well as tidal influences. You will learn how to predict weather by the wind direction, shape of the clouds and barometer. Also, you will work on advanced use of GPS and VHF.
You will discover how to do ‘blind navigation’ and how to act in case of fog at sea as well as how to follow the depth contour line in low visibility. You will learn how to use transits in navigation, leading lights and signs and clearing bearings. Also, you will learn how to lead the passage and pilot through a channel as well as enter and exit harbours during the night. Besides that, you will learn how to find a position in the middle of the sea just by using hand bearing compass and maps.
You will dock, catch a buoy and anchor on sails as well as move the docked boat just by using the lines. You will learn how and why we trim the mast and how to trim the sails depending on the strength of the wind. Also how to steer the boat using only sails and other means, without using the helm. You will learn how to reef the sails during manoeuvres and how to put a preventer while sailing down wind.
Important part of the course is man overboard actions and procedures, on engine and on sails, as well as how to lift a person out of the sea and what to do then. During the course you will also cover a helicopter rescue procedures, how to use a life raft as well as how to use a spear tiller and drogue.
The course is focused on bringing already existing skills to a higher level as well as of practical appliance of already existing theory knowledge. Although attending prior RYA courses isn’t a prerequisite for a RYA Coastal Skipper course it’s strongly recommended. In order for you to be able to follow the syllabus of the course your previous theory knowledge has to be on the level of successfully completed RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster™ Offshore theory course. Your practical skills have to be even above the level of successfully completed RYA Day Skipper course.
As a part of the course you will get very illustrative handbook that will help you to master the syllabus of the course.
RYA Coastal Skipper – Certificate after the course
After you successfully finish the course and after instructor’s positive evaluation of your progress you will get internationally accepted RYA Coastal Skipper certificate that confirms that you have successfully covered all parts of the RYA Coastal Skipper syllabus. You will also get a RYA Logbook as a confirmation of your newly acquired skills and knowledge. The miles you did during the course will be also logged there.
RYA Coastal Skipper course is a step forward to RYA Yachtmaster™ Coastal and RYA Yachtmaster™ Offshore qualifications which you can commercially endorse and find work in yachting industry, with respect to limitations.
RYA Coastal Skipper course aim:
To bring existing skills and knowledge to a professional level. To become able to embark safely on offshore passages during low visibility and during the night in more demanding weather conditions.
Skills and knowledge after the RYA Coastal Skipper course
- Planning and executing offshore passages
- Sailing during low visibility and during the night
- Sailing in demanding weather conditions
- Night pilotage trough a channel
- Entering and leaving harbours during the night
- Global weather patterns and predicting the weather
- Crossing traffic separation schemes
- Tidal influences on offshore passages
- Watch keeping on offshore passages
- Advanced usage of GPS and VHF
- Preparing the yacht and the crew for offshore passages and bad weather
- Rules of the road – daily signs, sound and light signals
- Procedures during the fog and limited visibility
- Blind navigation, following a depth contour line
- Advanced usage of transits, leading lights and signs, clearing bearings
- Manoeuvring – docking and leaving the berth, anchoring and buoy catching under sails
- Advanced trimming of the sails and mast
- Man overboard procedures
- Emergency procedures – spare tiller, abandon ship, life raft
Experience after the RYA Coastal Skipper course:
- 5 days aboard a yacht, 200 – 250 NM – logged in the RYA Logbook
Certificate after the RYA Day Skipper course:
- RYA Coastal Skipper, after instructor’s positive evaluation of the progress during the course
Conditions/Prerequisites for the RYA Coastal Skipper course
- 18 years
- Minimum 15 days aboard of a sailing yacht, 2 days as skipper, 300 nm, 8 hours of night sailing
- Attending previous RYA courses is strongly recommended although it isn’t a condition to apply for a course. In order to be eligible to apply for a course and follow the syllabus your practical skills have to be higher of the level of successfully completed RYA Day Skipper course. Instructor will test your practical skills during the course.
Pre-course assumed knowledge:
- Attending theory course is strongly recommended although it isn’t a condition to apply for a course. In order to be eligible to apply for a course and follow the syllabus your knowledge has to be on the level of successfully completed RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore theory course. Instructor will test your knowledge during the course.
Number of participants:
- Min 3, max 5 (Own boat tuition is available on request)
Minimum preconditions: Swimming skills and readiness for physical activity
Program of the RYA Coastal Skipper course
- 5 days
Language of the course:
Arrival and first meeting:
- Saturday – 18:00*, ANA office, ACI marina Jezera, Obala Sv. Ivana BB, Jezera
*Please be so kind and let the instructor know if you’re not able to arrive on timeStart of the course:
- Saturday afternoon
End of the course:
- Thursday afternoon
- Aboard of a sailing yacht in a double bed cabins (one bed cabins available upon additional payment)
- Area from Zadar to Split
Sailing gloves, two pairs of non-slip shoes or sneakers, T-shirts and long sleeve shirts, short and long pants, strong sunscreen, a cap or a hat, sunglasses, towels, personal hygiene items, bathing suit, towels, mosquito repellent.
If you are sailing during colder months, please bring your sailing suit, or a warm, waterproof jacket and pants.
Please remember to bring personal medications if required.
DATES AND PRICES
26.10.-31.10.2019 1 VACANCY
Price range per person depending on the date: approximate price 930 EUR – 979 EUR.
Please, use the booking system above to get the exact price, the system calculates EUR price based on the current exchange rate.
Price of the RYA Coastal Skipper course includes:
- Accommodation aboard a sailing yacht – 6 nights
- 5 days of sailing
- Mooring fees in ACI marina Jezera
- Course materials
- RYA certificate for the level completed during the course
- RYA Logbook
- Bed linen
- Final cleaning
Not included in price of the RYA Coastal Skipper course:
- Flights/other transportation to/from the base and parking costs
- Personal medical and travel insurance
- Harbour fees of other Marinas, out of the base in ACI marina Jezera
- Tourist tax
- National parks entry fees
- Food and drink aboard and ashore
- Accommodation ashore outside course date
Rates apply to accommodation in double cabins. The upgrade for the use of a single cabin is 60% of the listed price.
The format of the dates is European (DD.MM.YYYY)